Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Last Gladiators on Earth (Part 2)


This is just my Part two on this theme, yet the Morales-Pacquiao saga is already on its Part Three. I don't know what it is with these two guys, they should let enough alone. As the immortal Beatles song puts it, they should "let it be". Both or either of them could claim that he is the better fighter and the statement could not be conclusively disproved. After all, without a rubber match, both of them got a win, and both matches were of high interest from the sport's technical vantage point.

From what I've heard, this is going to be their last face-off, good...thank God for that. If it were not so, then the loser of this Part Three match could insist on a Part Four. Then, if after Match 4, the career scores turn out to be 2-all, they would go on a rubber match (Part 5). It can go on forever. (We might see two 70 year old+ boxers fighting still eons from now, if you get my drift.)

I will not say who I am rooting for, nor will I say who for me is the OVERALL stronger player. Suffice it to say, I think Morales is the more WELL-ROUNDED player from a technical perspective. Pacquiao on the other hand has MORE HEART and has the stronger KILLER PUNCH. Morales is more THINKING. Pacquiao is more BRAWLING. (I am NOT saying Pacquiao is incapable of strategic thinking, he can of course, he showed that in their second match.) Both boxers have my respect, although to say that I idolize either would be a stretch.

I don't know about you, but the loser of this rubber match would probably have nightmares in the following weeks, maybe months. He would be asking himself "Why did I ever allow a rubber match to happen?" when he is all alone with just his conscience, memories and thoughts. The winner of course would have all the bragging rights, but my belief is this: the Part 3 winner is not necessarily the BETTER boxer. After all, the rubber match victor could lose a fourth match, and everything would be back to scratch. Which brings me back to my point earlier, this could go on forever. (Only God could answer the "what ifs"...all of us could just speculate until all of us get blue in the face).

Oh well, even if a miracle happens and Pacquiao's and Morales' managers get to read this, I don't think they would dare change their minds on this match, this after all...means big serious money. (I cannot blame them really, if such amount would be offered to me, I'll probably volunteer to box it out with a T-Rex, or a train moving in full speed.)

I am not going to say "goodluck" to either of these 2 "gladiators". However, this I will say, to the future winner, give us a little humility, you are NOT MUHAMMAD ALI. To the future loser, don't ruin your life over it...lose some days' worth of sleep, but go on with your life...there will be other opponents.

(And) Please...no Part Four please...I am begging you. If you want to face off again after this rubber match, do it in another athletic line...chess...or one-on-one hockey. At least it would be refreshing to watch, and less blood too. (Blood in chess? THAT would be a first.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home